Saturday, February 14, 2009

Japanese Onsen (Public Bath)

... 
Umm...
.....           ...                   ........
I'm lost for words...  How can my words give credit to such a perfected system!
I can't say i've ever had such an amazing experience or sensation!  When I stepped out of the 200 Farienhiet Bath and into the ICEY Pool my body literaly shut down.  Eric held his breath for 2 minutes without a problem.  I was in shock so I didnt get there, but when I got out I had lost all blood and oxygen to my head.... It was THE trippiest moment when I couldn't think or concentrate on what Eric was saying!  I couldn't even feel my heartbeat;  At that point I realized I was a walking Zombie and there was nothing I could do about it!  No wonder people here live incredibly long! Its a Crio Bathing House!
Here's my advice:  Get a $400 Ticket, fly here, spend 1 day bathing and go home with a memory that will last a couple of lifetimes!  But Be Warned!  You may never return... Even now I can't wait to get back to the Onsen... O onsen, I think I'm in love!

5 comments:

  1. So what you are saying is I should sit in a really hot bath and then go jump in the frozen lake up here at Whistler...
    Hey Jordan, the bath sounds painful but whatever. Also I think tickets are more than $400. Anyhow, Bryce and I are up at Whistler skiing. It is amazing up here. Whistler-Blackcomb is 5 times at large at Aspen and probably 15-20 times at large as Big Bear. We skiied all day today and only hit about 23 runs on Whistler. Blackcomb is the next door mountain(same resort) and there are about 200 marked runs here. It is huge. The weather was blue ski and beautiful but freezing cold. It never got above 30F at the base and the top was never above 15F. That dosnt include windchill. Tomorrow we head over the Blackcomb for the day and ski Blackcomb Glacier. Stats: vertical decent 1 mile. Length of run 7 miles. :) 2 as long as that long run at Aspen. Well, I am off to bed. Talk to you later.
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jordan,
    I am so happy that you were able to experience this! What a great job you did in describing it. Did you have to wash outside, with little wooden buckets you could dip into the hot water, before entering the bath? Were there two baths, one for women and one for men, so that everyone bathed in the buff?

    Was it a natural setting? Was it a traditional Japanese style building that housed the onsen? My parents used to only have the public bath to bathe in when they lived in Japan in the 50s. They used to love it too, so I am wondering if it is the original building or a new one?

    I know you don't like questions but I am filled with them, and thrilled that you had this experience. Tell Mr. Kane thank you!

    From Levi's comments, it sounds like he is WISHING he were there with you! From those temperatures, he needs an onsen!

    Anyway, I love you,
    Mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the SAUNA was 200F. The pool was around 43C, which is about 109F. The cold pool was 66F. Either way, they were hot and cold, and the blood did indeed leave his head. After a 25-minute discussion (IN the hot bath) regarding what we believe to be true and what we can prove to be true, the poor guy nearly fell over when he got out. Only thing that saved him was a metal hand rail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to Giordano and all, I am new to the blog and want to see how long I can go keeping my identity a secret. Perhaps I will comment on some of Giordano's existentialist thoughts about just what is the truth, and can you prove what the truth is....... this is very deeeeeeppppp thinking dude!

    ReplyDelete